Verizon’s 5G First Responder Lab Unveils the Program’s First Cohort of Five Public Safety Technology Companies
Blueforce Selected by Verizon as first of 15 Transformative Technologies for Public Safety
WASHINGTON, DC – Verizon continues to demonstrate its commitment to the public safety industry through action. Today, in partnership with Responder Corp, Verizon announced five participating companies for the first cohort of the 5G First Responder Lab, a first-of-its-kind innovation incubator that will give leading first responder technology companies from around the globe access to 5G technology to develop, test and refine 5G solutions for public safety. The creation of the 5G First Responder Lab was announced in November.
“5G is transformative and will bring new possibilities in technology,” said Nick Nilan, director of public sector product development, Verizon. “The companies chosen for the 5G First Responder Lab could bring unseen, potentially life-saving innovations to public safety.”
Located in the company’s 5G DC Lab at Alley – a membership community for entrepreneurs – in Washington DC, the 5G First Responder Lab will bring together a total of 15 innovators in three separate cohorts to develop public safety solutions over a one-year period. Each three-month cohort will give five first responder technology developers access to the lab and its 5G network, and also the opportunity to collaborate with Verizon and Responder Corp on 5G use case testing, insight creation, and go-to-market strategies.
“We’re thrilled to announce the first cohort of this program and to be working with a handful of companies that give first responders a clear advantage and a team of entrepreneurs that are committed to getting that edge in to the field as fast as possible,” said Bryce Stirton, co-founder & president, Responder Corp. “There’s a clear excitement in the Program to experience how 5G will bring these already powerful solutions to new heights. There’s even more excitement to see how these 5G enabled technologies will help first responders.”
Cohort 1 Participants:
- Adcor Magnetic Systems: Sensors to detect, identify, track and correlate on a digital 3D environment
- Aerial Applications: Drone solutions to turn visual data into actionable insights
- Blueforce Development: Situational awareness solutions and sensors to enhance field operations and communication
- Kiana Analytics: A physical safety and security platform with engagement analytics for real-time location/situational awareness
- Qwake Technologies: Augmented reality products to help firefighters see in smoke-filled, zero-visibility, hazardous environments
Chosen from an applicant pool of more than 50 companies, the participants in the first cohort of the program were selected based on their ability to enhance one or more of four phases of capability focus areas:
- Ready – Enhancing first responder’s ability to prepare and prevent any emergency
- Respond – Improving the way first responders react to, manage, and execute during a lifesaving emergency event
- Recover – Resources to help communities return to normal following disaster events
- Rebuild – Hardening defense systems and applying lessons from previous disaster events to prevent future loss
Applications for the second cohort of the 5G First Responder Lab are open now through April 5th, 2019. Innovators and entrepreneurs can learn more and apply for the next cohort at 5GFirstResponderLab.com. Verizon has five total 5G Labs, with locations is New York City, NY; Palo Alto, CA; Los Angeles, CA; Cambridge, MA and Washington, DC. The New York City lab has served as a model for helping address the needs of first responders.
Learn more about Verizon’s plans for bringing 5G technology to our customers. For more information, call us at 866-960-0204 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.